Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hannover Equestrian Club

November 5
Alas, here I am. My apologies for the brief reprieve, I know all of you were just chomping at the bit to hear more of my Taiwan ramblings. Consider it writers block combined with a case of acute homesickness, (brought on by a destination I have not yet blogged about), but now I am back in the saddle again. Quite literally, I might add.

A few weeks ago I was wrestling with a bout of insomnia. I chalked it off to an odd phase of culture shock, which by the way, did you know that the term culture shock is an actual condition? I just thought it was a gross exaggeration my mother is constantly referring to. So, culture shock exists and I seemed to be unable to sleep. One day I was in the nursery at the American Club playing with Caitlin and the babysitter in there, Jean, told me I looked tired. I explained that I had not been able to sleep for the last 3 weeks. She asked me if I got enough exercise and I do exercise, but it's not the huge giant workouts of my childless days. Given the limited English she speaks/understands, I'm not sure how much of that information got through to her. She then asked me if I liked to ride horses. My mind instantly ran off to wonder what a horse would be doing in Taiwan...not that there's any shortage of animals here, (heck, I've got a neighbor that walks her giant pig on a leash each night), but we're in a city here and I just can't imagine a place for them to run. Not that it's any easier for you to imagine this pig on a leash in a big city. It really is a riot to see in person! Anyway, this whole conversation got me a date with Jean and Caitlin to take me to the horses so I can exercise and sleep well. She said that she would watch Caitlin while I work out on a horse. Jean thought for sure this would help me sleep.

Jean called this morning to tell me that she has a car, so I need to bring a car seat. Already, this is turning out to be a great day! We met up with Jean and her husband at the American Club. They load us into this beautiful, pristine clean Lexus and we hop on the highway to the other side of Tianmu, (the village where we live), with the most spectacular view of the mountains. Picture me now feverishly praying that Caitlin doesn't have any sort of gut spilling episode in this beautiful car. Thankfully, all went well. A few rounds of "Row, Row Row Your Boat" and the ABC's and we were at the Hannover Equestrian Club. Immediately I giggled to myself - they were riding English style. I only know how to ride Western style. Not to mention that I haven't been riding since before I was pregnant...what on earth did I get myself into?

Whatever it was, it was an absolute TON of fun. We were given a tour of the facility by Tiffany. I think Tiffany is an executive there, but now I can't remember exactly what she said. You have to understand, none of these people speak really good English. Not even the horses! They only understand commands in Mandarin. As we started to realize the limitations the language barrier, Tiffany laughed and told me I need to learn Mandarin. Jean's husband said that she needs to learn more English and I told them that my husband said that I need to learn more Mandarin, so I think we are going to work something out where we can teach each other. We were all laughing at how this well intended little plan just didn't go at all as planned. I did explain to Tiffany that I did not know how to ride English style. I know she understood this because she did an imitation of a lasso and said, "Woo-hoo!" Yee-haw girl, now you're speaking my language!

As you can imagine, Caitlin was a hit at this place! She was quickly swooped up and popped on a horse for a few rounds of the corral. I think she was a little nervous, but loved to touch the horses. She understands that they are soft. One of them smiled at her, (showed his funny teeth), and she just started laughing! Everyone thought that was a riot! Wish I had a video camera! Then it was my turn. They outfitted me in chaps, gloves and a helmet. Very cute (ha!). They put a little stool out in the corral to help you get on the horse (none of that fend for yourself, swing your leg western business!) and off I went. The saddle was totally different and the way they hold the reigns was totally different, but I was working with a patient coach who knew about 10 words of English (combined with my 10 words of Mandarin, we were a team!). I learned how to steer two handedly, give a couple commands and how to ride with that little bouncy thing that they do. I suppose it's all the same, you're moving with the rhythm of the horse, but its more of a pop instead of a flow. Caitlin cheered me on! It was a blast!

On top of having lots of fun, this outing was filled with generosity and kindness that I just haven't experienced anywhere else in the world. Everyone wanted to help with Caitlin and give her time to stop and explore. They offered us treats and bananas and translated the election news for me. They did not charge me for my lesson and prepared me an English brochure so I can easily return. I know I was not their easiest customer, but they worked with me patiently and made it fun for Caitlin as well. Then Jean offered to make us a traditional Chinese light meal (which I kindly refused, I had to get home) and even drove us all the way home.

We were both pooped, hot and tired. I'm a little sore in the behind tonight, but that shouldn't keep me from sleeping. Speaking of sleep, I have noticed a remarkable improvement over the last week. What a relief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara, this was such an interesting story..it's so nice to read about all the great adventures there are in Taiwan!