Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pudding


I made pudding today. My most memorable and coveted childhood snack! I can clearly remember coming home from school and seeing the small, plastic, blue tinted, cone shaped, pedestal Tupperware containers sealed with their matching plastic lids lined up in a row on the bottom shelf of our brown refrigerator. Brown refrigerator - can you imagine? Gotta love those left over appliances from the 70's. But when you're 6 years old and there is pudding in fridge you are the luckiest kid on the block.

I love that Caitlin is old enough to enjoy foods that bring back so many warm and fuzzies. Some of my greatest joys of motherhood are putting together pieces of my childhood and incorporating them into our lives...especially now that we are so far away from "home." As I recently told a visitor, when you step into this apartment you are on US soil...even though I have witnessed our daughter turn carrot sticks into chop sticks and try to pick up pieces of grapes with them. She also boasts a proud "peace sign" in her latest photographs. Next she'll be asking for a face mask when we go outside! I guess we'll compromise on US/Asian fusion here.

Anyway, I looked in all the usual import places for the boxed JELLO pudding mix, but much to my dismay, was only able to come up with vanilla or butterscotch (eeewwww). So I made my chocolate pudding from scratch. Chocolate is the way we roll around here. Poor Caitlin has been "blessed" with my sweet tooth and I just can't help but feed her fancy. Chocolate pudding it is. Or, well...sort of.

Milk here is not like milk in the US. It is reconstituted from a powdered form. It tastes a little different too. We've found one brand that is a little more pleasing to the palate, "High Quality Milk." The rest of the label is in Chinese. I carry the labels around in my wallet so I know which is low fat and fat free because like most things, I can't just figure it out by looking at it. So, through the heating process the milk got a little funny - I guess you could say that it curdled. Ugh. But, it tastes normal so we'll give it a shot. We'll see what our littlest food critic thinks of it later.

No comments: