Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Eyebrows

I desperately needed to get my eyebrows waxed. Desperately! I don't know when they started growing in, but this morning I woke up and realized they spanned from hairline to hairline (straight through-no break in the middle...yes, seriously I was sporting a uni brow). It's not like there is a shortage of places to go or that it's a major expense, I just manage not to notice until things have gotten way out of control. So, I booked myself an appointment at the American Club (so I could put Caitlin in the nursery) and arranged to meet Matt there for dinner (so I could take the night off from making dinner). What a perfect plan!

Hmmmm...so it's fair to say that most things don't go as planned when you are planning life around a toddler. Caitlin would NOT stay in the nursery. This was really no surprise to me, but somehow I thought I would have the will to just leave her there and let her figure it out for 15 minutes while I took care of myself. I couldn't. She took one look back at me with tears streaming down her face and a look of total devastation and I completely caved. "Okay Caitlin, you can come with Mommy. But you have to be a good girl." Up the stairs to the salon we climbed. Wiping tears from her eyes and in between gasps for breath she said, "Caitlin be a good durn Mommy. Caitlin be a good durn Mommy."

I put her on the floor with a sippy cup and Cheerios and told her she had to stay seated. I laid down on the bed and the eyebrow girl got started. Caitlin popped up to investigate the situation. Listening is not her strong point. She was quietly munching in my ear, rubbing my arm, holding my hand and putting my shoes back on until the eyebrow girl put a towel over me.

"What's towel doin' Mommy?" When I didn't reply she yelled, "Mommy, wake up!"
"I'm getting my eyebrows waxed Caitlin."
"What's eyebrows doin' Mommy?"
"I'm getting them fixed Caitlin. So they look nicer."
"Fixin' um?"

Then the eyebrow girl started to apply the wax.

"Soap Mommy? Is the boy have soap on dere Mommy?"
Cailtin referes to everyone as a boy regardless of gender.
"No, Caitlin not soap. She's using wax."
"What's wax doin'? Wax come off Mommy?"

The questions went on and on and on! Caitlin was trying to wrap her little mind around what I was doing. It was hysterical and I had a really hard time NOT laughing! I assume the eyebrow girl couldn't understand Caitlin because she never cracked a smile.

Overall, Caitlin handled the whole situation really well. And we managed to leave there without spilling the cup of Cheerios (bonus!). When we were through I took her downstairs and gave her some fruit. While we were seated at the table she said, "Mommy's eyebrows are red. Red like Elmo." Well, at least now I know she knows her colors!

No comments: